Monday, September 5, 2011

Jaded

I found the atrocities in these videos so overwhelming that I became almost jaded. It seemed like the same horrific story over and over again. Watching these videos also brought to light the interesting way that the world perceives itself. Global history is often shaped by remembered horrors but is there room in the collective conscious to recall them all? Before I would have unequivocally said Yes. We need to make space to remember the things that have gone so horribly wrong. However, if that is true, why haven't we? At first I thought, well it must be a lack of publicity. This idea is counteracted however when the author of The Rape of Nanking notes that the incident made world headlines. If it came up, why was it so quickly forgotten? Well then I thought, it occurred during a period of such intense scrutiny on the Jewish Holocaust (which is still questioned anyway), there must not have been room in the global mind. But that can't be. The world still took note of the dropping of the a-bombs, which only collectively matched the death toll from Nanking (again, a comment from the author). Therefore, I was forced to conclude something I deemed quite upsetting. The Rape of Nanking didn't surprise anyone. The world was just as jaded as I had become. In the face of the Holocaust, it must have seemed minor. In the face of the atom bomb, unhistorical.

No comments:

Post a Comment